Optional Add-On Workshop
Sunday, January 21, 2018
In the mystical world of the tarot reading, there is often one card that gets singled out of the deck before you begin. That card is called the significator and is meant to be the representation of the person you are reading for, also known as the Querent.
Now choosing this card is an important job, the card has to somehow be a representation of you. How do choose…are you a magician? A high priestess? A King or Queen of Wands? Perhaps you are channeling the wheel of fortune, or the lovers?
Our creative task in this one-day workshop is to create the perfect mixed media representation of ourselves, our own unique significator. We’ll start off with a brief introduction to get you familiar with some of the basic symbology and iconography you’ll find in a typical tarot deck. Once armed with this knowledge (don’t worry, you’ll be given a cheat sheet) and a plethora of mixed media techniques you’ll know just what you want to include in yours. We’ll be modifying a small tin or box to look intriguing on the outside and contain a secret tarot realm inside. We’ll construct our own stylized “cards” by creating a multi-layered mixed media collage-assemblage and throughout the process discuss how to incorporate the symbols that will tell our stories or our fortunes. I see a great workshop in your future!
All you need to do is show up with your kit fee, some of your optional supplies, a few good paintbrushes, and scissors, we’ll take care of the rest.
About the Instructor
In her art, Andrea creates powerful portraits skillfully combining colour, symbolism and ornamentation. Each motif is a transport to a different time and place, and through the process unrelated and discordant shapes and designs are manipulated to find balance and harmony where at first there seems none. Her passions and strong feminine aesthetic can be seen in all of her endeavours. The improvisational nature of collage coupled with the very deliberate method of painting creates a balance of spontaneity and premeditation in her work. Inspired by her extensive travels, a unique personal history, and too many artistic influences to list, Andrea hopes to inspire others to live their creative lives and pursue their dreams of transformation.
Andrea will provide the following supplies for a $25 kit fee. Fee will be collected on-site.
- One Altoids (or similar) Tin
- One small grab bag of found objects (wings, a small glass eye + a mystery objects)
- Collage Materials (paper, ephemera and themed images, etc.)
- Tarot Cheat Sheet
- Tarot Collage Imagery
- kit also include the use of all:
- Clear Gesso
- Matte Medium
- Aves Epoxy Clay
Students should provide the following supplies:
- 3-4 good paintbrushes, at least one of these should be a large brush (1”-2”) and one good detail brush
- Craft Tweezers (useful for placing/holding some of your smaller items)
- Heat Gun
- Your own collage imagery
- A small photocopied picture of yourself – to truly make yourself king or queen
- A small assortment of found objects: gears, keyholes, chains, old jewelry pieces, numbers, mica, small dolls or figures, lace, fabric just about anything for further embellishing your tarot card and tin.