This is a very tactile book with a great deal of embroidery work both machine and hand. The book measures 16 1/2″ high x 5″ wide and contains 4 signatures of watercolored paper that are painted and then adorned with small panels of embroidery that joined together to fill the pages; the panels are embellished with beads, sequins, buttons, metal objects and other ephemera. Having said that this book isn’t just about embroidery it is also about many other different mixed media techniques, so whether you are adept at embroidery or not, this workshop is for you !!
The techniques that we will be exploring are:
- Painting “Lutradur” and decorating with rubber stamped and painted images highlighted in stitch.
- Painting deli papers with alcohol inks.
- Photo-transferring images using “Mod Podge” and “Liquid Sculpey”.
- Stenciling with “Ink Aid”.
- “Gelli” plate print designs onto fabric.
- Making fabric paper from old book pages.
About the Instructor
Beryl Taylor arrived in the USA in 2002 from England, having graduated in City and Guilds Creative Embroidery. Whilst in Britain she had spent many years exhibiting her work with a textile group called “Threadmill”. She has taught many workshops in mixed media collage. Since arriving in the USA, Beryl has continued to teach workshops, has had her work published in many national and international magazines and has continued to exhibit her work both in the USA and throughout the world. Beryl is also a published author ( “Mixed Media Explorations” ) and DVD / television instructor.