Optional Grifters and Gumshoes Workshop
February 10, 2019
The Dark Corner, The Kiss of Death, Night Has a Thousand Eyes…these Film Noir movie titles set the tone for our highly stylized Hollywood posters. The debauchery, the cynicism and the sizzle!
In this one-day workshop we’ll examine the key features of Hollywood Film Noir posters. The classical Hollywood era of the 40’s and 50’s has its artistic roots in German Expressionism and makes the perfect subject for our wildly imaginative investigations in paint and collage. We’ll be transforming an ordinary piece of illustration board through a combination of collage, image transfers, paint, and iconic hand lettering bringing all of these elements together and creating epic Hollywood inspired mixed media artworks. By the time we’re done you’ll be saying “Alright Ms. Matus, I’m ready for my close up”
About the Instructor
In her art, Andrea creates powerful portraits skillfully combining colour, symbolism and ornamentation. Each motif is a transport to a different time and place, and through the process unrelated and discordant shapes and designs are manipulated to find balance and harmony where at first there seems none. Her passions and strong feminine aesthetic can be seen in all of her endeavours. The improvisational nature of collage coupled with the very deliberate method of painting creates a balance of spontaneity and premeditation in her work. Inspired by her extensive travels, a unique personal history, and too many artistic influences to list, Andrea hopes to inspire others to live their creative lives and pursue their dreams of transformation.
What you need:
- A few of your favourite Film Noir images (actors, buildings, titles, etc…) Your class kit will include several of these as well so need to go overboard with this.
- Paintbrushes– bring just a few in different sizes and one better quality detail brush.
- Palette & Water Container
- Golden Matte medium –8 oz. (when you shake the bottle it should sound like it has the consistency of syrup, not mayonnaise)
- Your usual marking making tools (pencils, markers, etc.)
Andrea will be providing the following supplies for a $25.00 material fee. The material fee will be collected on the first day of the workshop. Supplied materials include:
- Illustration Board Substrate (approx size 15”X20”)
- Use of all Golden Paints and Mediums
- A package of Film Noir Images
- Use of stencils
- Use of Portfolio Pastels